Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Wordpress is pretty cool...

Having heard a lot about Wordpress in the past, I decided to take the plunge when I wanted to create my iPhone blog. I downloaded it and installed the virtual server hosting package I use for my other sites, and after setting up the MySQL database things were up and running very, very smoothly.

I chose a nice-looking theme for the iPhone blog initially, Justin Shattuck's Salmon, but I soon realised it had a few bugs. Since there are so many great themes available it hardly seemed worthwhile to go to the trouble of fixing it, so I found another one, even nicer, that you see on the blog currently.

I then decided to re-do my magazine site using Wordpress, and that went really smoothly as well. The more I use Wordpress the more I like it: being PHP-based, it was easy for me to tweak the install a bit to track keywords, and the themes which are widget-aware make fine-tuning the sidebars an absolute breeze.

I'm currently working on a site redesign for a client that will use Wordpress as a CMS for what is mainly a static site (although with the blog functionality there anyway, there will be a blog too), and it's going really well too.

So it's only a matter of time until this blog moves over to Wordpress as well. Blogger has been very useful as an intro to blogging, but now that I have experienced the elegance and control offered by Wordpress, there's no going back. Stay tuned...

1 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

I've used it for a few sites, and it's as happy as a site-building tool as it is as a blogging platform. It's a superb bit of software.

8:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home