Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Do the mini Mac shuffle

Apple's newest iPod, the shuffle, enters stage left: if you haven't seen it yet, it's tiny, has no display (and no hard drive) and is very cheap (£69). You can plug it right into the USB port for synchronising. I think it's a good idea: as small and light as my 15Gb iPod is I sometimes hesitate to take it with me, and I worry about it being damaged when running or skating. The shuffle is a no-brainer: hang it round your neck or stick it in a pocket, it's so light damage risk is slight, and if damage does occur, at least it didn't cost £300. I also think parents will be more likely to buy their kids one of these than a big iPod.

I feel that the other new arrival, the Mac mini, is an idea with great potential. Think of all the weary PC users, ground down by spyware, ready to tell Bill to shove it. But the Apple option requires them to throw away, not just the beige box, but the monitor or flatscreen as well, which seems like a waste, and the iMac is not exactly cheap either. Hmmm, maybe Bill isn't that bad.

Now comes the very affordable Mac mini; you keep your monitor or screen and even mouse and keyboard if they're USB: the Apple upgrade path is suddenly a lot less steep, and doesn't require such a major commitment. Hey, what the hell, I'll give it a try.

I think there's a lot to be said for easing people into change by offering small steps.

5 Comments:

Blogger Squander Two said...

I reckon the Mini's bloody fantastic. If I wasn't blowing all me money on me new house, I'd buy one almost immediately.

2:58 pm  
Blogger Stephen West said...

I'm desperately trying to come up with a reason why I need one...

3:08 pm  
Blogger Squander Two said...

Need? Need? What's wrong with want?

10:48 am  
Blogger Gary said...

I'm not going to get one just yet, but when my scary finances calm down a bit i'll probably get one for the front room to use as a media server.

9:28 am  
Blogger Stephen West said...

Media server! That's bloody brilliant! I really NEED a media server (doesn't everyone?) so that's sorted then. Well, and the matter of the finances... Tell you what, Apple, why don't I just sign over my paycheque to you every month and you just make sure I have every cool goodie you make, might as well cut out the middleman!

1:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home