Monday, March 05, 2007

Hasta la vista, Firefox

OK, I've finally given up on Firefox. I know I'm supposed to like it, I know it's the hope of the free world, the Rebel Alliance fighting the good fight against the Microsoft Empire, etc etc, but I'm just tired of it killing my PowerBook all the time. I'm tired of my Mac feeling like a 486 PC with 8 megs of RAM, struggling to run Windows. I'm tired of the exhaust fan coming on every time I move the mouse, because Firefox has eaten up all the free memory AGAIN, and OS X has to shunt more pixels into and out of virtual memory to redraw the screen. I'm tired of waiting for Gmail to catch up with what I've written. I've had enough.

It's not like Safari is that bad, anymore. It has tabbed browsing. It doesn't screw up so many sites anymore. And if you have to have a Mozilla-based browser, Camino is pretty darn good. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now, and I like it a lot. It uses the Keychain to store web passwords, which is really nice: it makes me feel much more secure about my important passwords, and I can find them easily if I want them for another browser. Plus, it has an "update stored password" function if you're trying to log onto a site you haven't accessed for awhile, and your first password guess turns out to be wrong: it simply notices that you've typed a different password the second time, and offers to update. Nice.

And it looks pretty nice too.

Of course I'll keep Firefox on the machine, to check the appearance of my web pages, etc, but at the moment I mostly use Camino and Safari for actual web browsing. No more painfully-slow Mac. No more periodically shutting down Firefox just to get it to let go of all the memory it hogged. No more worrying about opening Photoshop with Firefox running. Oh joy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home